Friday, September 11, 2009

The Story of Caster Semenya

This is the story of another wonderful individual who just happens to lay under the transgender umbrella. Caster Semenya is the South African runner who has come into recent fame not only for an astonishing performance in the 800m (1'55.45") but who has also been revealed as intersexed, beginning with nonsensical speculation over the athletes' facial hair and supposed masculine appearance (possible paranoia & poor profiling mixed with sore loser-ness??). An Australian newspaper; the Sydney Daily Telegraph recently stated that the International Association of Athletes Federation (IAFF) reports the 18 year old athlete having three times the standard level of testosterone for a woman and internal testes as opposed to a uterus and ovaries. Unfortunately, I feel that this situation was a giant media disaster, using derogatory terms (ie. hermaphrodite) as well as the nature of this initial context; making very private medical information public, without consultation of the party involved. It is not only highly intrusive, but also dangerous. Semenya has rightfully chosen not to discuss the matter and maintain a rather low profile throughout the ordeal stating to South Africa's You Magazine; "God made me the way I am and I accept myself. I am who I am and I'm proud of myself." A very tremendous, apt, and yet understated comment; we are all proud of you Semenya.

No comments: